Just put together a test for the telegraph wire abstract bit of my film. I just did a bunch of different tests with various inks and pens and stuff and combined a few of them in After Effects to see which ones would work best. I think the sections where there are more clearly defined lines, where I used a comb to scratch away the ink, work best with the twangy sounds I recorded today - a Slinky stretching and dangling in front of the mic.
16mm Ink Test from Retchy on Vimeo.
The final version will have the film going horizontally from left to right in HD format, which will involve scanning the film at about 1800 dpi, as opposed to projecting and filming it like I did here. I'm working (very slowly) on this at the moment, and I'll also put some more controlled hand drawn animation over the top.