Monday 25 February 2008

Marvin - Finished

For the moment at least. I'm not entirely sure that I've nailed the pacing and editing properly, and the soundtrack certainly isn't how I would have done it had I had more time. I was imagining a much more dusty, desolate and wind swept atmosphere to really bring home the isolation of the robot, but this would have involved recording my own sounds and getting involved much deeper in the sound design process - something I'm doing in the sound re-design module at the moment anyway.


Marvin from Retchy on Vimeo.

I'd definitely like to go back and re-do the sound at some point. I think it's interesting how the sound design can really affect the pacing and feel of the narrative - something we've not looked at in much depth in this module. Even with this kind of placeholder soundtrack I've done, I still think it helped shape the story and certainly gave Marvin a lot more character than he initially had., which is possibly the most important aspect of the film.

I always find it really hard to take that step back when I'm doing narrative based stuff and assess whether the story actually makes sense or not. I feel I can do it on a purely visual level, but I guess I just don't have the confidence in the structure of my own narrative ideas for some reason. For example, is the build up to the point where the machine stops shaking and relaxes long and tense enough? I don't reckon it is, but I reeeeaaaaally can't say that with 100% confidence. I had no such qualms when I was putting together the Lyre Of Orpheus piece, mainly because the structure was laid out in front of me already. It'll be interesting to see how it comes across on Thursday when I present it to the rest of the class - I'm going to deliberately say nothing about it beforehand and then ask them for feedback after, and see whether they get what's going on or not.

Not that it's bloody War And Peace, like.

No comments: